Friday 7 February 2020

Learning how to Skate

Learning how to Skate

   Now that I live where winter exists half the year, it's a great time to brush on skating. Prior to this, I likely skated less than a dozen times in my life. To be honest though skating anywhere in midtown Manhattan doesn't really count. It's so crowded with tourists taking a picture, others trying to have a romantic and "fun" date that we all end up shuffling around the edges trying to move ahead (much like walking on sidewalks in midtown Manhattan...) Anyways - this girl bought a pair of used skates and attended our local public skate. It was also a bit busy and I had one or two toddlers on my hands so there was also not much more than shuffling around the edges. I then looked down and realized one of my skates was black on the bottom and not silver. I keep shuffling ahead (can't get the NY out of this girl) when it dawns on me.... it was a skateguard!!!!

    I don't know where the embarassment begins? Is it when I bought skates with one guard, when I failed to notice that I had on a guard before getting on the ice or was it most likely when I realized after twenty minutes of shuffling that it was on and hadn't felt any difference while skating? Will we ever really know {magic 8 ball says 'Very Doubtful'}.

  Once I realized my folly, I had a good ol' laugh and then proceeded to remove the guard (off ice). Yes, I have been back skating and I just don't bother with skate guards a) because I only have one and b) it's just another thing to fuss with. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment